Thursday, April 2, 2009

ON BEING SELFISH

"One's destination is never a place,but a new way of seeing things."
Henry Miller

aloha again, you may have noticed that i added PAGANI to my blog list,like what does art have to do with disability.(see MY LEFT FOOT movie and others).

APRIL 1991 KAISER ICU
now i am a mediasponge,when i am out of bed the radio,TV or PC is usually on. i've have been that way for ages.so one might imagine my frustration when after a ten day waking diabetic coma (ketoacidosis sp?) i was trapped alone with the medical monitors of the Kaiser ICU and the boring rooftop antics of the mall across McArthur.i had time to rethink my various roles as husband (my marriage was over for many many reasons plus My Ex2Be had already attached her fickle affections to another man,poor schub),father,drone worker bee,artist and man.
now i have been an artist since before i wore glasses,maybe 3 or 4,and i was confronted with the fact that this was the concern uppermost in my mind.
WAS I STILL AN ARTIST DESPITE WHATEVER DAMAGE THE DIABETES HAD DONE???
despite how selfish this seemed it was true.now when i 'commit art' or 'listen to the muse' my bodily pain fades away,it's like my brain doesn't have room enough for both creativity and misery.y'know? when i was courting Soul Mate,even after we'd moved in together, i created haiku for her,brought her purple flowers,drew her sweet cartoons and on our first anniversary painted a portrait of us in Paris (my Ex never got paintings as she was a painter/toonist too...). i have had simplify some artwork due to loss of fine motor control,diabetic neuropathy and increasing tremors but it has become my new style,IMHO almost classic Japanese in it's simplicity.

in other news,
Comedy Central showed a comic with CP,Josh Blue.he was funny with a zesty sense of irony.check it out when they repeat it.

namste
semper gumby
mega

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure I get the "selfish" part; your purpose is your purpose.

    ReplyDelete